Activities for Individuals
Vasatokka offers individual guests various outdoor equipments for rent and information about possible activities and attractions. The activities can be divided into winter and summer activities.
Winter 2018-2019 here: Winter activities_2019-202_pdf
Winter activities for individuals
- Sledging on a nearby arctic hil
- Sauna and ice swimming
- Game room
- Sami museum Siida and Inari village shops
With our cooperation partners we can organize:
Summer activities for individuals
Clear lakes and rivers nearby
Trails departing from Vasatokka:
- Route of the Fox 1 km
- Riutula – Otsamo Trail, 10 km. This trail begins from the Youth Centre Vasatokka in Riutula, and continues via the lakes Saarijärvi and Konesjärvi to Otsamo. You can return on the same trail, which makes a 20-km-long trip altogether.
And from Inari village for example:
- Pielpajärvi Wilderness Church Trail 5 km, begins 3 km from the Northern Lapland Nature Centre, from the parking area on Sarviniementie road. The trail goes into a handsome old-growth forest, passing by forest lakes. In the end of the trail you will reach a natural meadow, on the edge of which there is the well-preserved Pielpajärvi Wilderness Church. The church was built 1752-1760, and it was in use until the end of 1800s, until which time it was the central place of Inari area. Returning on the same trail makes a 10-km-long trip altogether.
- Oi Juutua!Nature Trail, 7,5Km. Along this trail, you will find stories about people and events of Juutua, and about fishing. The trail starts by the bridge in the village of Inari, follows the southern bank of the river upstream to Haapaniemi, and then returns to the village.
- Multiple other trails starting from Inari (outdoors.fi)
As the country with the most waters in the whole world, Finland offers diverse opportunities for catching various species of fish. It is easy to start fishing. Angling with a hook and line and ice-fishing are exempt from licences under public rights of access. In addition, lure fishing with one rod is free of charge for people aged under 18 or over 64. Other types of fishing always require fishing licences and people aged 18 to 64 must also pay the state fishing management fee. (more Ministry of Agriculture And Forestry)
Shoot the fast-running rapids of river Juutua in a rubber dinghy. Starting place is the Hotel Inarin Kultahovi where you will get all the equipment necessary. Transfer by car to starting point for white water rafting. You also will check the rapids of Jäniskoski during the trip. Transfer back to Hotel Kultahovi. (www.saariselka.fi/luontolomat)
A guided trip to gold lands of Lemmenjoki. The area is famous for its history of gold-prospecting and the marvelous nature of the Lemmenjoki National Park. We travel by riverboat along the Lemmenjoki river until we reach the gold claim where the action starts. You will learn the secrets of gold panning and if you a lucky you might find some gold nuggets! Beware of gold fever! (more www.valkeaporo.fi
It is possible to buy a packed lunch from Vasatokka.
Golden Glitter of Lemmenjoki
Spend a day as guest with Paltto sámi family
By riverboat we travel about 22 km deep into the nationalpark alonside the beautiful river Lemmenjoki to reach the historic gold sites. Its only 600 m walk from the river bank to the gold claim where our host will show us the secrets of gold panning and everybody can try his or her skills in gold mining. While sitting around the fire, you’ll have an opportunity to hear traditional sámi yoik and stories about reindeer herding. Finally when going back to Lemmenjoki, you will meet reindeers at old sámi surroundings. (More information at www. lemmenjoki.org)
Cruises in Lake Inari
Experience unique atmosphere of Lake Inari and visit Island Ukko, ancient Sámi sacrificial island! We will start from Inari and cruise to Island Ukko. On the island we will stop 15 – 30 min according to your needs. From Island Ukko we will cruise close by an old cemetery island. From boat we can take photos and see some wooden crosses, that are still standing there. We will return to Inari on the old post boat waterway. (www.saariselka.fi/lakesnow)
Places to visit:
- Sámi Church of Inari
- SIIDA Sámi Museum and the Nature Centre http://www.siida.fi
- Reindeer Farm of Inari http://www.reindeerfarm.fi
- Sámi souvenir shopping in the village of Inari